Financial Assistance

Emergency Financial Assistance

The following items listed are a guideline of items that we will need to process your application for financial assistance. Not all of the items will apply to you; however, you can use them as a checklist to make sure you have all the information that is necessary for you to file a claim. When in doubt about individual requirements to bring, please contact the Williams County Veterans Office 419-636-8812. We understand every household is different, please be advised it’s a household claim, and we will process the claim as such.

The Williams County Veterans Service Commission has set policy to approve the following requests:

  • Food
  • Gasoline
  • Miscellaneous Items: Must be approved by the commission
  • Rent, Deposits, Mortgage
  • Utilities such as electric, gas, propane, water, trash

Requirements & Application Process

Each applicant for financial assistance must meet the definition of a Veteran as defined by Title 5901.01 of the Ohio Revised Code and meet the requirements set forth in the Williams County Financial Assistance Policy. Applicants must be a Veteran, an Active Duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States, the spouse, surviving spouse, a dependent parent, minor child, or ward of the veteran or the Active Duty member. Reserve and National Guard members have to meet specific requirements to qualify.

Applicants must have been a bona fide resident of Williams County for a period of 3 months/90 days immediately preceding application. Proof of residency will be required. In most cases, the Veteran must be present to make the application. A financial need must exist to be eligible. Please note that the following this list is not all-inclusive, it is simply a brief checklist provided for you as a guideline to help expedite your claim. The following documents, plus any other documents, that the service officer views pertinent will be used to process your claim:

  • Discharge papers if first time (DD214 or equivalent Federal statement of Service)
  • Bank Statements for all savings accounts and checking accounts.
  • Last, four pay stubs from all working members of the household or statement of earnings from the employer; (bank statement for direct deposit if applicable) if pay stubs are not available.
  • Social Security award letter or statement from Social Security office. (Known as Long Form)
  • Statement of veteran's VA Compensation/ Pension (Award Letter) and statement of sick/workman’s compensation benefits.
  • Unemployment Compensation statements and/or determination form.
  • Statement for receipt of unpredictable amounts of income from sources such as alimony, child support, spot labor, tax returns, etc...
  • Rent receipt and lease, mortgage payment and/or tax receipts.
  • Most recent bills for the following:
    • Electric
    • Insurance
    • Medical bills (need proof of last payment)
    • Taxes
    • Trash
    • Vehicle payments
    • Water/sewer
    • Heat

Related Documents