What documents are required with the application?

The following documents are required:

  • DD 214 (or DD 215) - a copy of the service member's Report of Separation (DD Form 214) is required. If the DD Form 214 is not available, they should contact their local Veterans Service Office for assistance in obtaining a copy or contact the Department of Veterans Services at (614) 644-0898.
  • If still on active duty, the service member must provide proof of service (i.e., Leave and Earnings Statement, official letter from their Personnel Office, etc.)
  • Military Activation (or TDY) Orders - For reserve and guard members, a copy of the military orders activating them under Title 10, U.S.C. is required. For active duty members, a copy of the Temporary Duty (TDY) orders is required. The orders must state Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom, or Operation New Dawn.
  • Proof of Ohio Residency - required for all applications. Service member or veteran must be an Ohio resident at the time of application. Acceptable forms of proof include: copies of Ohio driver's license, utility bill, rental agreement, and officially filed federal or state tax form, military Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), etc.
  • Power of Attorney - only required for applications submitted on behalf of the service member.

Applications submitted without these documents will be returned to the applicant. Appeals for the award of the Purple Heart may be made through the service member's respective branch of the Armed Forces.

Show All Answers

1. Where does MIRF money come from?
2. How do I apply for a MIRF grant?
3. What kinds of injuries qualify me for a MIRF grant?
4. What documents are required with the application?