What To Do If You Have A Change Of Name

Change of Name

If a notary legally changes his or her name by marriage, divorce or any other reason, he or she may either:

  1. Continue to use his or her existing commission after a name change. At the normal renewal date, the notary would change his or her name. However, the notary must sign their new name but indicate the name in which the commission was issued in parentheses or with the words "formerly known as" after the name on each document notarized;
  2. Amend their notary by going to the Secretary of State website. Under Notary Commission, select Amending Notary Information. In the middle of the page is an Application to amend Notary Public Information. Please print the PDF, complete and forward to the Ohio Secretary of State with payment pursuant to the directions set forth online.